View Single Post
      09-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I think the gearing on the 1M will be different to the standard 135i to compensate for the taller tyre side wall profile. The side walls of the 1M are definitely taller than 225/35 19 and 255/30 19 which is what most people with 19's on their 1ner are running.

On another note, all these people that are going on about how important it is to have a lighter 18 inch wheel, yet are running CSL style wheels. Most CSL's are only about 3 pounds lighter per wheels compared to the OEM wheels. And the difference between 18 and 19 inch is probably about only 1 pound. If you were that concerned about weight savings you would invest in a proper light weight wheel such as the Yokohama RZ's and RS's for example. Even in 19 inch, these wheels only weigh about 18 pounds which is about an 8 pound saving over the average 18 inch CSL style wheel.
Unless we know the actual ratio of the 19's we don't know if they will be taller. Do you know for sure that the overall diameter will be increased?
I don't mean the diameter of the 19's wheel that will be used, as we know that is larger, but, do you know what the profile will be, for sure?

People go on about lighter weight in wheel/tire because it does make a difference. Stock for stock a 19 is a good bit heavier than an 18, and when you include the tires the difference is even greater.
If BMW goes with a lighter wheel compound, they could easily have used the same compound for a lighter 18.
The 19" choice is probably more cosmetic, as it doesn't help reduce unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0