View Single Post
      02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #26
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
I would be pretty shocked if you can get below 2900 even with a strict diet but am rooting for you. Tire to weight ratio is the major culprit in ST classes as UHP tires may have very high g load capabilities, but very short duration they can sustain it. I'll be interested to hear whether there are any BRZ/FRS owners who are still trying to run E85 as it will be hard for them to walk away from the performance bump they briefly enjoyed last year. Pallotta and Keeley both run in Milwaukee region. Keeley ran with me and others enjoying limited success in Chicago SCCA STR for most of a season before switching to the BRZ. For comparison, my Z weighs in around 2720# and has an exceptionally low COG.

I have 40/90, (40* ramp on acceleration, 90* on decel), with dynamically more lockup during acceleration as the wheel speed difference increases, and no dynamic lockup on decel, just the static 40-45 lbs using the 4 clutch setup and unfortunately the OE 3.07 gear set. It makes a tremendous impact on rear grip in early to mid apex cornering.
Yea, 2900 is a tough goal, but with basically trimming everything possible it could be done. I have the 17x8.5 APEX wheels, which are the lightest they offer in addition to dumping the runflat weight, so that is some significant savings there.

Ultimately I need to get the car on a scale to see what stock weight is, until then, guessing what trim weight would be is waving a finger in the air.

Pallotta is local to me, so I'll probably have an event or two where I can bribe him to co-drive a local event to see what he thinks of my limited prep as it currently stands and what I should do moving forward. Talking to him before, he doesn't know if the 128 could compete with the BRZ/FRS.

That specs is exactly what Jim recommended, and what I think I want to go with. Initially I was thinking 45/45, but it may influence some understeer. I think my static was going to be around 80 ft-lbs from talking to him. My stock rear gears are at least 3.23. I'm assuming the tremendous impact is positive?

I have the E-Diff, which isn't anything to replace a mechanical....but should get me through a couple first events while I gather money for this expense.

The ST field is new for me...before I ran my Z4M for RTR/AS for 3 years (and a 325xi before that for a year) just for giggles until I found a project car that I could build and hope to be competitive. So this is a learning experience for me.
Appreciate 0