View Single Post
      02-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #31
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
Once you go with the diff, be forewarned the impact is so big you chase your tail a little bit. The first year, the best description was two steps forward, one back. Now, the adjustments are far more predictable. My approach is to make each end of the car corner/put power down as best they possibly can. Some people approach setup where they want the front and rear to be exactly the same so they dumb down the end of the car which is working to match the weaker end. Don't do this.
Yep, makes sense.

I'm use to driving on my M Variable on the Z4M, so I really want a diff ASAP so I don't lose that type of feel. Of course, a M Variable isnt the same as a clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
- Classing
- Weight
- Body design (tall greenhouse, CoG, relatively narrow, wheelbase)
- Aftermarket support

Predominantly, it's an issue of classing, I think. In STX right now, within a year, the Toyobarus have found setups that work. They weigh approximately 400lbs less than a US spec E82 yet can run 17x9 wheels w/ 255 rubber all day. From the ground up, it seems like a superior car for solo. Sure the 1'er has more power, but with more mass, and the same, or less tire than the twins, it's going to be working the tires a lot harder.

I'm in no way trying to deter you, there's a reason I have an 135i and not an FR-S. I was just curious what your mindset was going into this.
What classing do you think a 128 goes in? STX is the only place.

Weight - I should be sub 3000. You have to remember, the car has more power than typical STX car, so it should help on longer courses. Yes, it won't be able to probably corner as well as a FRS, but it has torque...a FRS does not

Body Design - Short wheelbase is better, makes it more nimble. Dropping the car an inch or so will help eliminate the tall issue.

Aftermarket support? I don't really even know what this means? I already have DA suspension sitting in my room, a front 28mm bar coming tomorrow along with wheels. Supersprint headers, a performance gearing diff, an exhaust, seats, lightweight battery and tune are all easily available. A full build on STX isn't that hard to do.

I can run 255 tire as well, but they are 8.5 wheels.

If the FRS are the car to have, with 255 tires, then why did a RX-8 win nationals last year on 235 R1R tires?

Why did an E36 win the Solo Finale in STX?

Why did a E36 M3 win STU at 2012 Nationals?

Everyone said my Z4M couldn't play against the FRS crowd in RTR. Not at national level (because I didn't attend any), but local events I was very competitive with my car...The Z4M is a boat with no camber, on paper it isn't even a close match up against a FRS. But that was the complete opposite. http://ovr-scca.org/uploads/ax_resul...-07-14.htm#RTR

Then people said the car would suck with a A-Stock pax...

Same event, bracket run offs.

http://ovr-scca.org/downloads/autocr...GovCupData.htm

http://ovr-scca.org/downloads/autocr...CupBracket.htm

You can play a what-if game all day long. In the end, there is no evidence other than a spec sheet that says.

Until the Match Tour at the beginning of April and local events start, can't really say if it will or will not be competitive. There will be plenty of FRS/BRZ to go against at the Match Tour...7 are already registered.

Last edited by Kgolf31; 02-19-2014 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0