View Single Post
      01-01-2023, 11:02 PM   #43
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
Reviving this because I just did this a few days ago and here are some key points I learned along the way:

- don’t rush. Take your time to completely remove all plastic coweling that you can remove. If you feel it’s necessary to take off the passenger wiper or whatever else, then do so. I didn’t need to. Make sure all bolts are completely off the threads. If the VC isn’t coming off easily, then you likely forgot a bolt. The objective is to be able to vertically remove and replace the valve cover in a clean sweep motion. Why? Check next bullet point.

- triple and quadruple check that you didn’t let the gasket roll when re-installing the valve cover!! It’s very easy for it to roll. It helps to use a MINOR AMOUNT of silicone sealant or gasket maker on the corners and on the half moons to keep the gasket in place once the valve cover itself is right side up for re-installment.

-those back 3 bolts will make you hate your life. Use extensions and swivel sockets. Once again, don’t rush. When torquing down, you’ll need to go by feel on those last 3. I personally, for my own piece of mind, torqued those back 3 bolts down a little more that I felt was necessary to really ensure the gasket won’t leak in that PITA area.

-make sure the mating surfaces are pristine. This is common sense.

- triple and quadruple check ALL bolts are torqued. I missed a few when I double checked. I went in a cross pattern or whatever just seemed intuitive. But for real, make sure they’re all torqued (I believe 6 ft lb, it really isn’t much).

-lastly, this is the type of job where it’s ideal to do everything possible while you’re in there. I did this job originally for my clicking valvetronic motor. While I was in there, I replaced the plugs and the gasket.

Once everything is buttoned up, start it up and monitor for leaks like your life depends on it. You might have residual oil left on your exhaust if your VCG was leaking, so you might expect to still smell some burning oil for a bit.

It’s absolutely a tedious job, but it’s doable. I really do think that even the most talented mechanic should take his/her time on this especially to prevent the gasket from rolling when installing.

The valve cover is not something to disturb. Don’t anger it. If the gasket isn’t leaking, don’t bother it. Walk away and have a nice day.
Appreciate 1
Almuliman485.00