View Single Post
      06-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Skyline is a fun drive but watch out for young kids in small sports cars that all think they can drive like they are in the movies and that the laws of physics just don't apply to them. Seen some NASTY results from this group up there...Personally, I love a mid week run up highway 50 from Sacramento to Tahoe. The ride up Mt. Tam is great with wonderful views, from San Anselmo out to Point Reyes, Through Anderson Valley to Mendocino is really nice too. A really fun and (used to be, not sure if it still is) seldom used road is the back road from Napa (using Monticello Road (off of Silverado Trail) to Wooden Valley Road (which turns into Suisun Valley Road which will eventually run you right by Solano Community College and on to I-80) into Fairfield. That is a lot of fun and very little traffic usually. Use Google Earth and you'll see it. There are several great drives in the bay area. All kinds of cool drives through the mountains between Tahoe and Yosemite. I would highly recommend you try that drive from Napa to Fairfield if you are in the area and looking for a good 30 mins run on the twisties. I used to teach in Napa and lived in Fairfield when my wife was stationed at Travis AFB and drove this road almost every day...LOTS of fun!! If possible, avoid weekends though as you tend to get a lot of motorcycles. You can also stay on Monticello (road 121) (not turning into Wooden Valley) and continue past Lake Berryessa and hit 505 in Winters, then you could head south to I-80. Lots of optoins! I miss the Bay Area...not as much as home (San Diego) but living in Europe is lots of fun too!! Hope you enjoy some of these. If you do the drive from Napa to Fairfield or Winters, let me know what you think.