View Single Post
      02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Red, hello again, especially since our cars are "boat brothers" glad to hear you are still on here.

OK, so I have strong opinions on bloating the 1M but the clear bra thing is more gray than black and white for me. You live in Utah and have real winter so I can see why so many of you do the clear bra. Personally, I do not like it. I will never buy a car with clear bra installed. I have seen too many that are 8-9 years old and they look terrible old. So it is not for me here in SoCal. Maybe the current generation of clear bra will look good in 8-9 years but I don't want to risk it. I prefer a few paint chips that I can touch up to the difference in color when old.

So, since I don't have a clear bra, this is the next best thing for autocrossing, track, Euro Delivery or long road trips IMO.

Clear bra is semi-permanent. If you damage it, you have to take it back to the clear bra guy and have it replaced for a good amount of money. Not sure how much but I'm sure more than an application of Trakktape. If you damage trakktape, you just peel it off when you are done and it doesn't leave any residue if used for three days from my personal experience. I cannot vouch for longer duration since that is as long as I have kept it. However, Papethova kept it longer.

I would say that if you are going on the track or autocross, I would even put this on top of your clear bra.

So that is the difference. I guess if clear bra was much cheaper and you can get it replaced more often, it would be easier than Trakktape?
I used trakk tape for my Euro Delivery and then immediately got a clear-bra when the car got back to the states.

Just to give an alternate point of view and experience: back in '07 we got a Lexus GX470 and had a 3M clear-bra installed immediately after purchase. It did exactly as it advertised and protected the paint from nearly everything over it's 5 year use and 75k+ miles. The only place the paint got nicks and chips was where there was no bra.

When I brought my 1M home after getting it's 3M bra installed, I noticed that the bra on my 1M was a good bit clearer than that of the older lexus bra. The lexus bra had gotten a bit yellow over the years but I never really noticed because it was so subtle and I had no new car/bra to compare to. Anyway, after mentioning it to the shop who did the install on both cars, they got 3M to replace the lexus bra at no cost because it has a 5 year warranty.

When I took the lexus in to get it's bra replaced I removed the old bra myself and it was still very pliable and soft. The paint underneath it looked impeccable. The new bra went back on and the car still looks great.

In short: I think clear-bras are extremely effective and very worthwhile. I would wrap the entire car if I could afford it.