View Single Post
      07-22-2019, 11:49 PM   #136
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
... What I don't seem to understand though is what stops you from keeping the GT3? How much do you drive it? Daily? Monthly?...

Clearly you are someone into motor cars and I am certainly not doubting that for a minute; but does trading a great car like a GT3 for a next generation GT3 RS really result in happiness or is it just the adventure of "starting again" that is the pleasure here? Genuine question.

...You said you love the GT3 more than all the you've ever owned combined; so what stops you from keeping it? You took delivery of it with your father and spec'd it yourself—-is it "just a car"? To me it sounds more like an experience in itself and more of a companion.
Drive it weekly, usually a weekend toy then maybe one day of commuting. My GT3 (to me) is a whole other experience vs. a true commuter car like my X1 which I have about as much emotional connection to as I do to my blender or toothbrush.

But what stops me from keeping it (and this is all hypothetical, maybe I still keep it 5+ years down the road) is a combination of a few things and one of those that you can't discount is the thrill of the hunt.

Sure driving/owning a car is 90% of the fun but man that 10% of hunting one down, whether it be combing through used car classifieds or speccing one new and waiting for delivery is a blast in itself (to me).

Yea I have great memories of tracking down this GT3 allocation, taking delivery with my father etc. but they're memories...they won't leave when the car is gone. And I'll get a chance to make new memories. Just because you're hopping into a new car doesn't mean the history and love of the previous vehicle is erased.

Next up is the simple fact that we're living in a time where the automotive limits are pushed and re-defined every 5ish years. I mean look at the fricken C8, and we have soccer mom Teslas doing 0-60 in 2ish seconds. If the 992.2 RS still has a flat 6 revving to 9k, with hybrid assist, a carbon tub, active aero etc. then you better bet I'm going to want to want to experience that and make that my new companion for the next 5 years of memories. Will it be world-changing beyond a 991.2 GT3? Probably not. But will it be enough for me to want to move on...probably. But tell you what, if the 992 RS is electric and the days of a screaming flat 6 are gone then I'm holding onto my 991.2 for as long as I live but I still think we have 10 years before that will be our reality.

Now you have the ultimate factor and that's money. I would wholeheartedly keep my GT3 FOREVER if I lived free of financial constraints, but I don't. If I did, I'd have the GT3 in a 12 car garage with new cars rotating in every 2-5 years while holding onto some of them forever until the US bans combustion engines in totality, and then it'll become a museum and shrine to great memories had. But alas, that world doesn't exist for me, so I'll probably keep a 2-3 car garage with something new rotating in every few years which unfortunately means something else has to go.

Ideally, in a semi-realistic financial world, I would have a 3 car garage with a long-term keeper that is special in both the car itself and the memories (think 458, maybe your 1M, something you simply won't see again for whatever reason) then a high-performance weekend car that I can swap every 3-5 years to try the newest sensation (think GT3, latest lambo, McLaren, etc.) and then my daily driver that is essentially an appliance I beat into the ground, rinse and repeat.
jqsmooth160.00
Biginboca3763.50