08-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #8786
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
After a week of driving the wife's Pathfinder to and from the airport, and tooling around the PNW in a sad little Hyundai CUV, I finally got to drive the 1 again!
Needs a bath, and I haven't even opened 'er up since my return, but, I Love This Car!

While in Washington, I read Garth Stein's "The Art of Driving in the Rain." Great story. I laughed. I cried. I couldn't put it down. Actually started it on the plane, and left it halfway through to get to the hotel and live life for a day. Picked it back up at 10:30pm "I'll just finish that chapter, and read one more." 1AM - still up, done.

Anyway,
People have asked my what my license plate - BECOME1 - means.
I have an idea of it in my mind, but have had trouble putting it into words.
First, it's on a 1-Series (a fact lost to most people who ask - though, hopefully, not here.) But it's always been more than that. The way a BMW (or Porsche, or the occasional other vehicle) can become more than just an appliance - but you can be so in tune with it that your become one with the car, and the two as one become part of the journey.

Mr. Stein - or, at least, Denny's dog, Enzo - says it best.
To paraphrase, since I don't have the book in front of me, and am not set up to take my 'vert to the track:

"The car is an extension of the driver. The road is an extension the car. The rain is an extension of the road. The sky is an extension of the rain.
It is about believing that you are not you; you are everything. And everything is you."
That looks like a cool book. I am adding it to my reading list. There is another too.