Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Did you ever make any progress on this (either the steering rack retrofit or the MDM coding)?
Steering rack is a direct bolt in. The MDM is a no go. According to my coding guy. The servotronic stuff can be wired to be on all the time, if you want it. Im still waiting to install mine since I had to move from Germany to the U.S. before I could get everything situated.
So you sourced a rack and are just waiting to install it? If so, definitely let me know what you think - this is on my wish list of projects.

Do you know anything specific about the Servotronic retrofit? I saw a kit on RealOEM, but don't know anything about it - is that what you were talking about? Or you mean just wiring the Servotronic with an input for constant (non-variable) assist? Speaking of which, I thought our cars already had variable assist steering - isn't that same thing?
Yes I have the rack and pinion. My car doesn't have variable assist power steering. It was an option on the 1 series but I don't know from what year onward. I don't plan to do the servotronic retro fit anyway so for me it's install the rack, code the steering angle sensor ( I was told I would have too) and get an alignment. The steering angle sensor thing is due to the m3 rack having to be 1 spline off center or something due to a different spline offset or something. I'll know more when I can do a side by side.