First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i ZSP 6MT

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ88 View Post
Well, the previous owner had tightened the shock tower studs until they spun… so I had to drill them out… took about 4hours of cursing, breaking drill bits etc. to get one side out. Granted all of this was made worse due to the m3 strut bar which pockets around the special nuts….
Ugh...that *sucks*. It also sounds almost exactly like what I went through on Saturday helping my son with his E46 330Ci, although in this case, the overtightened shock tower studs were his fault (one broke, one spun, one came loose normally) - and yes, he was using the E46 M3 strut bar with the special nuts. Took us 5 hours to get the strut off the car (we only needed to replace the studs / hat on the driver's side).

I'm going to have to do my shocks at some point (sport suspension) - probably will keep the springs but go with Koni Sports. Thankfully I know my shock tower studs are tightened to spec and I've taken my calipers on and off enough times that I'm not worried about doing it again, although I may just replace the brake lines since the ones I have on the car now might very well be the originals from BMW.
Lemon Boston Sport Interior
Appreciate 1
BigZ8822.50