05-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Do you notice any difference in handling on the 18" wheels?

Specifically I'm getting at what was described with 18" M3 wheels with Hankook R-S3s in the following thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670428

"More unexpected was how much more feedback the chassis gives with this wheel/ tire combo. With the 19s I'm used to limited warning before the rear breaks loose when exiting a corner under power. It may be very catch-able after it breaks away with the Pilot Super Sports, but judging how close you are to that breakaway isn't easy. With this combo, however, something interesting happens: as you roll into the power on corner exit you can clearly feel the car moving from understeer to oversteer before the tires let go. It is very perceptible that the back is slipping more that the front (or vice-versa) and you are carrying some slip angle before anything actually breaks away.

This sensation gives you much more feedback from the car and frankly makes driving much more involving and enjoyable. Where the stock car is stuck, stuck, stuck until it's not, on these tires the car is moving around the whole time, even when it's not actually sliding around. I must say I really like that extra feedback, and combined with the way the car handles the bumps better (even vs the PSS, which is already better than the PS2) it makes driving my favorite back road significantly sweeter."
i've read this thread to and must fully agree with it. Belgian roads are a true disaster and this combo is much much better for street drive and probably not a disadvantage at track also. The PSS has lots of grip. It handles the extra power really good.
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0