View Single Post
      09-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Im seriously hoping this is my case. I got my first call this morning from the dealership telling me its a $120 for them to run the diagnostics? This normal or am i getting played for a sucker?
You shouldn't pay for the diagnostic unless the issue is not something covered under the warranty. $120 is steep since you can get the code read for free at some auto parts places, or read it yourself, but the key point with the car at the dealer is to state you pay nothing for warranty items - including batteries. Be prepared for an argument that you are not driving it enough. That is nonsense. Mine often sits for as much as a week at a time and starts normally.

Regardless of what the codes say, it takes a couple minutes to test a battery under load. I would insist they do that if they start the "you take too may short trips and/or don't drive it often enough" routine. I have a $20 tester that does this, I'm sure the dealership has something too. Some batteries will check OK until a significant load is applied.

You might try asking how long the code reading takes. Anything longer than 15 minutes is nonsense. I think the codes go to your key. I've seen the service advisor read the key and had them report results like you would see in a diagnostic. I'm not a service tech and I can do it in 15 minutes or less. (you can too with "Torque" on your phone or tablet).