12-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #5749
rdmarsiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
Got the car back today. $380 later. :/

It seems like the noise/vibration is kinda gone? From what they said and from my observations, what I had wasn't that bad (as the parts weren't in that bad of shape) but I think it's gone now. The only downside is that the exhaust drone/wubble noise is just annoyingly loud now. Those two noises (bad driveshaft and loud exhaust) always went in conjunction with each other and so it was always hard to tell if it was the exhaust + road + everything or if it was the driveshaft. And of course, when you put the car in neutral, I don't think the exhaust actually sounds the same.

Anyway, driveshaft DID have some kind of issue but I think most of it is resolved now.

Problem though: As soon as I picked up the car and drove it - a quite loud (but subtle because so high frequency) and annoying high frequency noise is being emitted from the front drivers side. It's intermittent but happens after high throttle (when slowing down), during startup for the first minute or so, and some other sporadic moments. Really really annoying. Girlfriend found it extremely obnoxious and we both noticed it as soon as we started the car. Brand new noise.

What a coincidence... :|

Anyway, the guys helped me diagnose it and said they don't have a clue but that to test it I should remove the accessories belt, start the car, and then see if the noise happens. If it doesn't then clearly it's the alternator or power steering.

It is very computery/electronic in sound (like a bad capacitor or some kind of interference noise you'd hear over your speakers) but it could be an air leak of some kind, I guess... but you'd think I'd get a code if it was. :P

But the noise isn't coming through the speakers. It's from a part and it just happens to get louder inside the cabin than outside.

Glad you got it back and that it was semi affordable.
Appreciate 0