BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDELA View Post
A lot of people mention the "notchiness" between 1st and 2nd as a common thing and part of the reason to do the CDV delete. Is this not the case?

Going into 1st and 2nd on mine can definitely be a bit less smooth than I would like. It's on occasion and seems to depend on what rev. But the car is new (to me) so maybe it's just a matter of time to figure out the "sweet spots" ?
BMWs (and many cars) have a weakness in the 1st-to-2nd gear synchronizer as it is generally quite a jump in ratios between those gears and that's the gear-change that gets used the most. Missing that shift and crashing the gears and synchros can cause a difficult shift after enough abuse. CDV bypass won't change this problem. You might try matching the revs properly on downshifts into 2nd. And most drivers don't really go into 1st unless they're stopped. You might also try, at a stop, going into 2nd before going into 1st.

But before I'd worry about that, I'd have the transmission fluid changed to what a good BMW shop recommends in your area. Here in the USA that's usually Redline MTL or ATF.
Appreciate 1
AUDELA1.50