06-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #28
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Why is everyone so defensive about the 1M? The OP just says it how it is on the day. Everyone will also have a different opinions on the car. All of us to be 1M owners (me included) haven't actually even driven the car yet, and he has. I don't think some of the replies towards the OP was justified as all you have read are reviews from magazines. Don't think someone who has with over 3.2k post is trying to troll. Love to hear more after more people have track time with the car in high temps.

If you want to bring out reviews - all reviews pretty much stated the M3 is a better car, but the 1M is more fun to drive.

Just want to say we should appreciate opinions from both side.
Thanks, everyone will see when they get their cars. I think all the hype surrounding this car took away from how great the car is, I was expecting something nearly perfected based on the reviews. But I drove it on the track in the heat. It's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Cool story bro... think u should get the dct, too..
I've gotta come back to reality this weekend and shift myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Seeing as two of the three normally aspirated models overheated... where as the turbo car lost a little torque.... that's not a great showing for the normally aspirated motors anyway.. I'm not a fan of one motor over the other... I'm just sayin...
M5 is a very heavy car and my group was beating on the cars, I believe we were the fastest group out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Direct injection on turbo motors sprays metered fuel instantaneously in the combustion chamber to bring charge temperature down. That is why these motors can run high compression and turbo at the same time. Without it, it wouldn't work. That is my guess.

It sounds like the M3 didn't overheat which is interesting since that is a high reving, high compression motor.

Not saying anything either way, but direct injection is amazing stuff.
I was surprised but the M3 heated to 260F and just stayed there despite repeated redline shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The OP is right on the N54 powered 1M losing torque as temperatures elevated, it's no different than what we have already seen on the N54 powered 135 and 335i's.

We saw 60C IAT's on a single dyno pull in low 70s ambient temps so repeated track sessions will sure get the IAT's even higher. With that kind of IAT's most of us know that the DME will start to pull timing and power is reduced. A good FMIC will help keep the power more consistent here.
Thank you Harold! This place is tough!

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0