View Single Post
      07-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #186
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You minimize your potential for issues by using a powered converter - one that has connections for power to the battery - instead of one that just taps the power going to the car's lights. Other than that, I don't think it matters exactly what one you use. My car did not give me a "bulb is out" warning for a long time after I installed the hitch wiring but I have one now and can't find any bulbs out. So I think it still can happen.

But the bulb out is one ding and a warning light at startup, nothing more. I think that is worst case for what can happen with the wiring assuming you tap the right wires.

I don't have one but you can also buy a little tester you plug into the car side of the flat four connector to check the wiring without plugging in the trailer and walking around to be sure everything is working.

I thought it was far easier to do the wiring than install the hitch. Pulling off the bumper cover is a bit of a pain.