08-10-2019, 02:23 AM   #18
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I believe the pickup points on the M3 knuckle are slightly different for the control arms, they are definitely different for the steering rack pickup points - the M3 tie rods on an M3 rack are around 15mm too long if you fit it on a non M knuckle, so the pickup points must be different. This might be interesting since the long proven mod for us non M guys is to fit the control arms from an M3, but does it actually have negative effects with the geometry?
The distance (component that perpendicular to the strut axis) between the knuckle pickup points for the upper and lower control arms will affect the scrub radius and steering axis position. That is this first thing that needs to be figured out for the steering geometry. Once that steering axis position at the knuckle is known, then you can look at the relative offset for the steering tie-rod pickup points. Moving the pickup point for the tie-rod further outboard relative to the steering axis will increase the amount of Ackerman geometry (Assuming the steering rack remains in same location). More Ackerman means increased toe-out as the steering is turned.
Appreciate 0