View Single Post
      04-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #41
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Alright, I want to chime in on this thread with my experiences. My car has the later-style pins that need to be tapped out. I didn't have a drill handy, so I just used a flathead screwdriver + hammer and hit the pins at their bases. The driver's side took longer, maybe I was being a wuss with the hammer, but once I had the hang of it, the passenger-side literally took 1 minute to knock the pin out, and adjust the strut. There looked to be a fair bit of movement accomplished by doing this. Here are some pictures showing how much I was able to get out of the car by myself. I figure if I had a second set of hands to manhandle the strut tops, that there's a teeny bit left in it, in terms of available camber. Well worth the 30 minute time investment.
This also gave me an excuse to fab up my own little temporary jackpad so I wouldn't damage the jack points on these cars, it's not pretty, but it is quite functional, and the under-car mount points still look pristine. If anyone needs a hand doing this, and is in the Central Ohio area, give me a shout, we can knock it out (pun intended) in no time. Looks like the passenger side had more to give, which is fine, because it helps balance out with the weight of the driver. I plan on getting the alignment checked to make sure my toe isn't super out of whack, I will report back with camber/toe/caster numbers.

Pictures:

Driver's Side:

Passenger Side:

Homebrew jackpad, wooden block layered with duct tape:

Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 1
123i25.00