View Single Post
      12-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #16
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I struggled to get by without the aluminum inserts for the jacking points for several years and then just broke down and bought 4. With aluminum inserts in the jacking pads there is no issue with "normal" jack stands. I just let the car down on them. You have to be a little careful that they stay in the plastic jacking pads but it isn't very hard.

Jacking the back to set stands on the front works, I've done it. Jacking the back or one side of the front to get a second jack under the jacking point in the middle in the front also works well. I prefer to use the center front jacking point to the differential. It's easy to see where the center front jacking point is, it is a little harder to determine exactly where is safe versus not safe on the differential. But if you really need to be on 4 stands, I would do it.

It is not just a potential catastrophic failure of the jack you have to worry about. It is also a slow leak. My older jack does this. I don't know if my newer, lower, jack does. If you are under the car and it lowers enough, it can be difficult to get out. And it will keep coming down. I like having two jacks but I don't depend on them if I go under the car. I use stands. Even if I can't easily get them on a jacking point, I like having them under the car if I am going under it. There are points on the suspension that are sturdy enough to hold the car, for instance. If the jack fails, the worst you are looking at is damage to your car if you don't select the right spot. Cars are easier to fix than our bodies.