View Single Post
      11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #81
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I'm still at max so I will probably just leave it alone. I noticed the comments on the filter and have a comment. I think it is best to leave the drain plug out until after you open up the filter housing to let that oil drain out. I didn't this last time and noticed a fair amount of oil drain down into the empty pan. Not the best. I will try to remember to leave the drain plug out until after changing the filter next time. I do not go to any great measures to remove all the oil from the housing but it would be good to let what will flow down go out.

With respect to ramps, I want to try changing the oil on my little 2x4 ramps. I made 1.5 inch tall ramps literally out of a scrap 2x4 ripped at a nice gentle angle to get the bimmer up high enough for my floor jack to get to the center jacking point. I change the oil in my step daughters Corolla with it sitting on the ground. I think I can do the bimmer with it up 1.5 inches. I don't need to see things very well to do it, I know what it looks like. I just need enough height to get the drain pan under the car. This method would also largely solve my concern about the angle of the car affecting how much oil drains out. 1.5 inches higher in front is pretty close to level.

It usually takes me a few oil changes to figure out how I want to do each car. Some are pretty easy and obvious (the Corolla is great, the oil filter is also right next to the drain plug). The only thing that makes the bimmer a little tougher is that it is low.

I also found my plastic piece that covers the drain plug missing when I went to change it. BMW must not have installed it properly after a previous oil change. I went onto RealOEM to see how much a replacement would cost and couldn't find the part. Does anybody know how to get one of these?