View Single Post
      11-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #25
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Right now there is not a single Republican who will do this, so yes, voting Democrat is the only answer. If there were a Republican who I thought would stop the war, I would consider him too.
Believe it or not, the Democrat majority in Congress can put an end to any sort of war funding a number of different ways. They can also vote against the President's budget. To suggest that it is only the Republicans who have been operating through budget deficits is very short-sided. It should also be said that a budget deficit is not the end of the world as the country as operated through a deficit in most of its years. I am not defending out of control spending but there are two things to understand about it:
  1. Out of the control spending is a bipartisan issue. If it wasn't, the Democrat-controlled Congress would have put an end to the President's budgets and shut down funding for the war.
  2. The mere presence of a budget deficit is not the root cause of a weak dollar. There are hundreds of factors ranging from the Fed dropping interest rates a couple of weeks ago to probable overvaluing of the dollar through the 80s and 90s.