View Single Post
      10-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #15
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
I had to do this fix last year when the rear glass separated from the fabric along the bottom and up one side. I scraped away as much of the old adhesive as possible and took the tension off the fabric by propping the roof open with a basketball and some towels under the back (before it closed itself under gravity).
Then I used those clamps and glue mentioned above (3M Window Weld) which, I have to say, is amazing stuff. I also used those free paint stirring sticks to try to spread out the pressure from the clamps. I also used a tiny can of 3M primer that you put on first, don't know why but I read it somewhere in another thread about this.
This is my third attempt at fixing this and while other glues held for a couple of months, this stuff has held for over a year.
One issue I do have is that when I took the clamps off I noticed that there was a small kink in the fabric at the lower left corner of the window. Think of it as too much fabric kind of bunched up in a small ridge. Well, with opening and closing the roof that ridge has frayed.... :-( It's not terrible but I can see it and it will only get worse I suspect.
Back to the glue. Once it has cured fully you can cut it with a razor blade to tidy it up. I'm not entirely satisfied with the look but it worked :-) However, I still have the rattle if I close the roof, but only for the first mile or two then something settles into place and it goes away. Overall, happy with the results, just wish I noticed that kink sooner.
There's a place I found online that sells these roof covers for $1000 but I was unable to find a DIY and didn't want to tackle this myself.....I have enough issues....cam ledge for example. N54 life I guess.
In the OP's last pic, see that hole on the metal bracket near the window? There's a plastic piece attached to the very bottom / rear of the interior fabric lining that clips into that hole. One on both sides of the interior lining. Climb into your back seat and go to the bottom edges of the glass, and you should see what I mean. Is it possible that's causing your rattle?
Appreciate 0