Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
So... you have a completely stock unmodified car? :P

when have i cheaped out? it was like $400 anyway...

there's no other 'tuning' options here in Australia haha... besides, i haven't cheaped out on anything else? i'm spending something like $10k rebuilding the engine ffs. (no budget, but it's what i'm working it out to about)

Unless you count this thread as 'cheaping out'?... Maybe i'm just not a sucker, and like getting value for money?

So i take it you think the JB4 is terrible too?... yeah the powerbox wasn't optimal, but it worked, and got rid of the throttle lag when i wasn't used to it. What would you have suggested that doesn't cost ~$1500 for 10hp?.. And that i can actually get in australia!

Uh... downgrade? .. single piston 330m+single piston 300mm.. to 6 piston 338mm+2 piston 325mm... are a downgrade?? (yes i get that as brembos go, they kinda suck, with weak pistons...) but firstly, to get it street legal, i have to put in brakes from the car the engine is coming from.. secondly, yes i realized afterwards that 1M brakes would also be ok, but much harder to find for reasonable money... but i'll be likely going to them, when i do eventually find a set (when the rears come 9/10 times with the M3 rear subframe)

Getting it engineered as road legal with 'better' aftermarket brakes (would love a stoptech set), would be near impossible with the swap on top of it... However, once the swap is done and plated as 'legal', it's somehow much easier to go a BBK then.

And, not a cheap swap for either...

Aftermarket Headunits... again, showing you don't really know everything at all.. the factory head unit and stereo is TERRIBLE, and any 'drop in' upgrade is neutered right from the start... so an alpine head unit (9887 being one of the better SQ ones, and i had it from my previous two cars) with a H701 or H800 + 3 way active seemed like fun to me .. Plus, with the nice fascia, and the fact it still has orange lights.. it actually looks pretty damn good, doesn't 'jump' out at you... the added functionality and quality is just a huge bonus on top of that.... so yes, such a bad idea upgrading to a competition grade stereo >_>, and even cheaping out on JL/ amps...

Sure, i could have kept the stock head unit and wired the new on in sorta parallel like some people do.. but it's a huge waste of effort, and a pain in the ass finding somewhere to hide it, as well as the difficulty added wiring it in.

and shit, 3 things in one post? Solid subframe bushings (not engine or transmission) add next to no NVH, but are a vast improvement over rubber or poly alternatives for feel and performance.... you realize the new M3/M4 is going solid in the subframe.. right? and the F10 M5 is solid?

Plus, there's another guy in Australia getting the M3 rear put in... with the solid bushings from turner, and a few more of us wanting to either get a set custom made or buy a few... instead of the M3 ones for the same price.

Oh, and if you also don't like the fact i have BC coilovers... people with M3's put them on their cars, i *did* get a VERY good deal on them, they're SHITLOADS better than OEM 'sport' suspension with 70k miles, and i'll be upgrading to something much fancier after the engine is in.

yeah... we're pretty clearly not on the same page, you're quite a few pages behind?
Powerbox: just reduces driver control by making a very small portion or pedal travel do all the work. Does not decrease lag at all. Makes the car worse, not better, when driven near the limit. Downgrade.

Brakes: went from a setup that fades when driven hard to one that cracks pistons and melts boots when driven hard. Downgrade.

head unit: BMW's just can't pull them off without it looking awful-- they're just the wrong size, and no amount of bezel can hide that. And, yes, I'm well aware of what's involved in integrating with stock. So, yes, I also view that as a downgrade. Makes the car look and feel cheap.

The new M3/M5 are designed around solid subframe bushings and address it via sound deadening and isolation elsewhere in the system. Solid subframe mounts make a large difference in NHV. And, yes, I'm well aware of the marginal benefits of them, as I have them in my race car. For a street car, absolutely downgrade. Why'd you start with a BMW if civility wasn't part value equation?

Suspension, since you brought it up: better than completely worn out stock isn't an option I'd consider. I'd at least want it to be better than new stock to consider putting it in, and really I'd go for something actually good.

So, yeah. As I said, I don't think we see eye to eye on things

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0