View Single Post
      03-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

fe1rx builds a roll bar

I have built a roll bar in to go along with installation of some race seats so I thought I would share some details, since the options for a purchased bar are pretty slim at the moment. This is a bolt-in bar, built to meet the Ontario Time Attack regulations in particular. All tubes are 1.5" x 0.120" DOM with 3/16" floor plates and backing plates. My car has no sunroof. The main hoop has a 5° rake aft, and the rear braces make an angle of 45° to vertical. All up weight is 51 lbs.
Name:  1 Front.JPG
Views: 1491
Size:  229.5 KB
Front View

Name:  2 Oblique.JPG
Views: 1326
Size:  245.1 KB
Oblique View

Name:  3 Bending the Main Hoop.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  265.2 KB
Bending the Main Hoop - bends are 5" CLR

The rear braces on a bolt-in bar must be removable to enable getting the bar into the car. One of the challenges in designing a bar is to choose an appropriate method of making the connection of the brace to the main hoop. I looked to the FIA 2018 Appendix J - Article 253 for inspiration and used a joint similar to their figure 253-39 for that connection.
Name:  4 Stay Pin.JPG
Views: 1480
Size:  243.3 KB
The pin element welded into the main hoop.

Name:  5 Compound Angles.JPG
Views: 1436
Size:  273.9 KB
Fitting the pin required drilling the main hoop at compound angles.

Name:  6 Saddle.JPG
Views: 1472
Size:  214.4 KB
The mating saddle fitting on the brace tube.

Name:  7 Rear Brace Connection.JPG
Views: 1436
Size:  205.0 KB
The connection to the main hoop.

Name:  8 Rear Stay Connection.JPG
Views: 1469
Size:  199.7 KB
Connection uses a 5/16" socket head cap screw.

Name:  9 Lug.JPG
Views: 1449
Size:  200.5 KB
The other end of the brace strut uses a bent lug to an existing 12 mm bolt. Not everyone uses this bolt as an attachment point, but my mounting solution allowed me to eliminate a cross bar, with its added weight. The geometry of the welded connection is such that the axis of the strut intersects the shear plane of the mounting bolt. This minimizes bending in the joint under axial loading, and makes for a good welded connection. Cross bars and diagonal bracing of the rear braces is not required by the regulations so I didn't include them to save weight.

Name:  10 Harness Guard.JPG
Views: 1451
Size:  196.7 KB
Harness guards prevent migration of the harnesses. The harness bar height provides HANS compatibility with my chosen race seats. The guards are anodized aluminum.

Next post, trial fitting ...
Appreciate 8