View Single Post
      09-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #23
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Any half competent BMW tech knows about this relatively common issue and should know what to do if the belt shreds.

Doesn't sound like he is dealing with one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Also I do not understand why they would replace an oil pan gasket and not the leaking oil filter housing first, as the oil filter housing is a much more obvious and critical leak. Not to mention when it leaks badly enough oil makes its way around the seam of the oil pan and makes it look like it’s leaking when in fact it may not be.
They probably just assumed the oil leak was the pan. If they aren't that familiar with these cars then they wouldn't know about the OFHG leak and how the oil wicks down the entire side of the motor making it look like a rear main seal or oil pan leak...

If they snapped the drive belt then the front main seal should be checked. There is no way an OFHG replacement caused spun bearings unless they pinched the gasket cause fluids to mix. I think you would be able to spot coolant in oil pretty easily though... Might be time to lawyer up. Sound like they already tore the engine down so you won't be able to see the front main seal for yourself... or, the fluids they took out.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50