05-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
You don't need that much rear tire on a 128i. They came with 205s stock, 225s if you had the sport package. How often are you lighting up the rears on track with stock widths? Probably never is my guess. I track my car with 225s and don't think I've ever broken traction on a dry track - and I've got catless headers and a tune.

More important than maximizing rear traction is balancing traction. A square setup is usually best as it limits understeer. A staggered setup will understeer. Square means the same tire width front and rear. Also, a square setup lets you rotate the tires to get more life out of them. Staggered can only be rotated side to side, and if they're directional, can only be rotated in dry weather.

19s are silly - they're heavy, ride harshly, and tires cost a lot once you start getting to that low of a profile. There is no reason to choose 19s for track purposes. IMO they don't even do much in the looks department since we don't have blingy brakes to show off.

You are better off finding the lightest 17" wheels you can find with an offset that works with the E82. Look for used wheels in the 8.5-9.0" width range with a ~45 offset. Here are some popular options:

Apex ARC-8s
D-Force LTW5s
Apex EC-7s (only available in 18, but light)
Advanti Storm S1s
Im going to be honest i dont trust your opinion.
1) mine came with 215 fronts and 245's rear - factory.
2) i can light them up very easily with traction off and if on and i floor it, it will constant cut power on launch
3) im perfectly aware of square vs staggered
4) the best recommended is 17x8.5 with 235/40-17 for a square set up on arc 8s.

The benefits of the price im paying for the 19's is i would have to buy 3 full sets of tires for each wheel option before the 17's because a cheaper option and moving from run flat 18's to non run flat 19s isn't any more harsh at all.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0