dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Does the transmission temperature warning light come on? Your issue sounds like a big pain I went through. Had to really rev the engine high up to get it to start moving. The transmission would down shift very harshly at what seemed to be random times (would downshift into high RPM while driving casually). The error would clear itself for me too, but it would come back all the time as well, either randomly while driving, or as I pulled into the driveway of the duplex I was living at. Let me know if this is what you have, I can talk you through my thoughts and what I did to fix it.
Thanks! Yes - sounds similar -- I don't recall whether the transmission warning light came on, but the transmission malfunction notification showed up on my nav screen (it said, transmission fault, drive moderately - some gears may not be available). Would love to hear what happened with yours and what steps you took to fix it. My independent mechanic didn't find any leaks (which he thought could cause a short on the transmission sensor). If it is mechatronics, I'm looking at a huge repair bill (ugh!). thanks!
I ended up going the easy (but expensive) route and had my clutches and fluid replaced. Knowing what I know now I would do the following things in this order checking to see if it fixes the issue after each:
-Check for leaks-done
-Reset ALL transmission adaptations
-Have shop check fluid level and fill if necessary (special procedure required)
-Replace filter and fluid (this I where we get to choose our adventure, do you replace only the bigger filter or do you also replace the side filter[IIRC replacing the side filter requires the transmission to be dropped so more $$], I honestly don't remember what each does right now)

I might have missed something, but if all of this fails then might be time for new clutches. I'll note that I saw my old clutches after they were taken off the car and hey had a couple of tiny scorch marks, and really no clutch material missing, but I'm also not an expert on wear for these things.

How many miles are on the car?
Appreciate 0