04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
In the US, all head units are of the "BMW Professional" type. Other markets get a "BMW Business" type as well, which is inferior in some way.
My understanding was that HiFi did not become standard until the second half of MY2011 - cars with build dates from 09/10.

It is strange then that you have tweeters as standard equipment. I have heard on a UK forum of some cars being delivered with the grills but no actual speakers behind them - "blanks," in ther words. I didn't think that happened in the US, as my US-spec car came stock with black plastic panels instead of the grills. However, according to Barry above, it appears that at least some US cars were fitted with blanks.

Can you confirm the presence of speaker cones behind the tweeter grills? Not sure how obvious they are in the HiFi system, but in my OEM Alpine retrofit, the cones are clearly discernable through the grills (pictured below).
You could also try to peek through the rear shelf grill, perhaps with a flashlight, and see if you can find either just mids fitted, or tweeters and mids both.

Finally, you could try looking for an amp. This should settle it beyond doubt. Go to your trunk, lift up the flap that covers your battery, and then keep pulling until that panel comes all the way out. On the driver's side there is a space where an amp might fit (my amp is also pictured below). If there is nothing in that spot, then you have Stereo. See my post above for a little more about the different amps.
Thanks for all the information. I'm afraid that I'm going to add to the confusion, though. The tweeters are definitely there. You can clearly see them and hear them. I'll post a picture below (it's not as good as your picture). The system puts out enough volume without distorting that you can hear it well while driving with the top down. It is at least comparable to the last two cars I've owned with optional extra cost sound. But when I pulled the panel out of the trunk expecting to find an amp, I did not find one. There is a silver box on passenger side that is probably something else, but could be an amp. I'll post a picture below.

I haven't heard of any 135 with working tweeters and no amp, so I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

Appreciate 0