02-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
I wouldn’t say the reason the data isn’t available has anything to do with what you mention. It simply isn’t available, to my understanding.

My point isn’t to understand my value vs yours, it’s just something fun to know as a car guy. Again, reading through BaT auctions and you’ll see “1/37 with this color combination and transmission” etc (last I saw that got this going was on a Viper GTS auction on BaT). That stuff is fun and I’m mostly surprised it’s not out there with so few and only one model year while other cars have this insight with much higher production numbers.

To the thought specific to 1M’s, we are very early in this cars collectibility evolution, so what we’ve seen to date will change over the next few years. But again, that wasn’t my intent with this.
The data exists, no doubt, it is just a matter of accessing it. I wonder if someone went to the trouble to go to one of the VIN# build sites such as BMW Archive, then pull up all of the VIN #s known to exist, if a data set for at least the known VIN #s could be produced?

The fact that no one has done this yet, to my knowledge, points to the fact that this is more or less minutiae of the highest order. No one would have any trouble figuring out how many hyper expensive Porsche Turbos were out there and in what configurations they were made, if need be.