08-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #64
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanx1 View Post
Exactly my situation. I test drove the auto just to get a feel for the car and loved everything but the transmission. I really don't understand why BMW doesn't build more of the seemingly excellent manual versions. Do manual cars really sell that poorly these days?
Dealers sell a lot fewer manuals than they used to so tend not to stock them anymore. Exceptions are cars that either come only with a stick or are very popular equipped with sticks, e.g. 1M and M3. Like many others, I had to test drive a DCT version of the 135i to see if I liked the car and then ordered one with a 6MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanx1 View Post
From bmw1racer (and others) comments I really don't have any worries about ordering the 6 speed sight unseen as I've not heard a single bad thing about it. But it would still be nice to actually see one in the wild!
I was actually a little disappointed in the notchiness of the 6MT when I first got it. That diminishes after the tranny is fully warmed up and I'm getting used to driving it now so it's not as much as issue for me anymore. It could have shorter throws too IMHO, but not that big a deal.