View Single Post
      03-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Raising the Armrest DIY

From the beginning the armrest height bothered me. It was too low to be comfortable and it blocked the use of the center console cup holder.

Saggy and not very functional.

I removed the armrest using instructions from here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=234692&page=2

Once off, it took about 10 minutes to fix the issue.

Note that the armrest uses a block on the rest to hit on the mount block.

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the lug on both sides, but only through the contact side. I left the other to bottom the screw against since the plastic is soft and the threads would just strip out if you put much pressure on them. Use the length of the screw to set your height.

My first screws were screwed in to nearly flush, since I didn't know what I needed to get the height I wanted.

This raised it up about an inch, but not enough. I added longer screws, no photos, but they stuck out about 1/4" lug to screw top. This raised it up about 2.25", which was perfect form my arm rest, and allows the cup holder to hold a standard bottle of water or soda.

For some it may seem a bit goofy, but standing outside the car it looks fine, and is so much more functional.

Hope this helps someone who wants to do the same.
Blu3RSX27.50
spidertri399.00