Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Please re-read.

To ensure life long durability, BMW had to de-stress the N54 more in the XXXis & the 1M, thus they can now tune (ie: boost) it for greater power, because it is more supported.

Anyone... and I mean anyone can buy a 135i and tune it to 400hp. But that is not a reliable figure unless you support that 400hp with added cooling, added flow and added engineering, to de-stress the engine.

Secondly, would you buy a used 135i, (ie: from the So Cal area) that you KNOW has had a JB/PRoceed on it for 3 years..? Those owners themselves don't want to keep that car another 3 years... because they know what dmg they are doing to the driverline and engine.

Again.. BMW just didn't add boost, they supported their decision with additional engineering.
Yawn...............

When you use terms like "de-stress" the engine I get the distinct feeling you have no idea what that really means. All BMW has revealed thus far is that there are tighter internal tolernaces.

So what does that mean exactly?

Less clearance between the piston and cylinder wall?
Smaller ring gap so that less combustion blows by?
Tighter spacing on the crankshaft bearing?
Did they polish and port the valves?

If you use some logic and stop repeating the mysterious marketing, the additional cooling components are probably the primary reason they can produce a bit more horsepower via software changes and still have a reliable warranty.

More power = more heat >>>> needs better cooling, which they have done already in their performance kit via a secondary radiator and a more powerful fan.

Blueprinting an engine to tighter tolerances may free up some revs, but I don't see the redline being any higher in the 1M than the 135i.

If you know so much about the engineering side then please do share.....otherwise you are just throwing out ambiguous terms to puff yourself up.
Appreciate 0