View Single Post
      12-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
ash6r
2010 BMW E82 135i N54 6MT
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

Serperntine belt came off/shredded safe to drive 10 miles?

Hey guys, just wondering if its ok to drive my car around 6 miles to my garage to get my belt replaced.

Last night when i was driving back from work i lost power steering, ac and got a red battery warning light come up on my dash. As soon as that happened i pulled over to check what had happened(kept the engine running). I initally thought my tire blew or my suspension collapsaed or soemthing like that but the i realised my belt came off. I was still under two miles away from my house so i just drove it back slowly until i parked up. The engine seemed to be running fine except for it idling just under 1k. It usually idles around 600-700.

I thought i would just drive to my mechanic and get it fixed there. But then i started reading online how if the belt goes in to the engine it would be total engine failure and such. I coudlnt see if the belt fully came off or got shredded since it was dark. But since i was able to drive just under a two miles home maybe the bely just fully slipped off without getting stuck in the crank case? Should i just get the car towed to be safe or will it be okay for me to drive around 6 miles?
Appreciate 0