View Single Post
      04-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
JSavela
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks for the kind words guys. The install was about as easy as they come. I never completely removed the large center ext torx bolt, just loosened it enough. I slid the old dome strut out and replaced it with the new one one side at a time. The entire job took me about 30 mins, even with stopping to take pictures along the way.

As far as performance improvement, I'm not in a position to notice if there is. I just took my car out of storage and bolted on a set of coilovers, subframe bushings and M3 arms. As a complete setup, it feels great. I would guess the 1M brace had nothing to do with the transformation. That wasn't the goal of this mod anyways. It was all about gaining access to the strut tops and keeping that OEM look without spending $400 on a full M3 brace.

It also took me about a month to get the parts because the dome struts were special order. The availability of the dome struts is my only concern about this upgrade. Manufacturers typically make a certain number of extras to stock for replacement parts. Since the dome struts are unique to the 1M, I doubt they made a whole lot of extras. I wouldn't be surprised if us 135 owners bought up their stock of extras fairly quickly.
Appreciate 0