04-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian54bimmer View Post
Thanks mate!

What made you go for the 19'' and would you say that the 18'' Breytons drive better than your current setup because of the weight difference ?

thanks
No reason to get 19"s other than brake clearance and looks We don't need the brake clearance, so it really was for looks. Plus they are wider than the stock rim widths, so I could have more of a contact patch and traction in back.

I honestly couldn't tell you if they drive better though. I am 99% sure they do, but I can't say for certain because I took them off last October after I curbed my car during a sudden cold weather/snow storm episode. Put on the winter wheels, and then installed M3 suspension parts. Now the 19" wheels feel better than anything else I've driven on, but that's probably because of the M3 parts as well.

However, compared to the stock wheels that I had before, the Breytons felt surprisingly different. Not a huge black and white difference, but I honestly wasn't expecting anything different at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
dont get Breytons man. They are known to have poor quality control. Several forum members over the years have reported cracked wheels on street and track applications.
Matt, I will have to respectfully disagree with that. My Breytons were daily driven in NJ, took a couple trips down to Baltimore, and several to NYC (Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx), and I never had any problem. Even when I popped over a curb, they did not crack at all. Only bent and that's because I hopped a curb sideways at highway speed. They are a high quality wheel, better than VMR in my own opinion. Gill's recommendation should be enough for anyone, but ever since those couple horror stories from 2 years ago I never noticed anyone else on the forum complaining about them.

I have been very happy with my Breytons. I would have kept them instead of going for bigger wheels, but they aren't in stock on Tire Rack til May and I needed my winter wheels off, I'm sick of cleaning brake dust from between the spokes of CSL style rims, and I've been craving a wider wheel in back, which is why I bought the 19's from a forum member.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0