View Single Post
      03-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Step 7 (Final touches):
Open up the headlight housing cap and with your hand, try to horizontally position the projectors so that they are not cocked to one side, make them be in the middle of the corona ring. Reinstall the headlight housing cap.
Install the headlights on your car and turn your car on. Take a hex screwdriver and find the alignment slots on the headlights. Align your beam pattern horizontally and vertically as needed.
Reinstall the headlights and bumper after everything is ready and take your 1er out for a ride.

I'll post better pictures when I am able to. Besides we all know what these look like.

~20 day update:
The 1er has been out in two rainstorms, and about 5 foggy mornings with no condensation or moisture build up inside the housings. Every time I start the car and turn the headlights on they work flawlessly.
I took my 1er to Watkins Glen Raceway and took some very hard turns and the projector has not moved from its position. I have also purposely hit some bumps and pot holes to try and whack the projector out of place but it still remains the same. Sacrifice people, sacrifice. See what I do for you! Those moments were hard to endure for me.
So far, all of the bulbs and functions are performing to spec and I have been enjoying my new headlights every chance I get.

Final update:
I sold the lights, but the entire year I was running with them I only encountered one issue. The high beam bulb inside the cornering light burned up and melted the plastic so I couldn't remove it. I suggest taking the actual high beam bulb from your halogen lights and throwing that into the cornering light housing instead and calling it a day. Do not use the cornering light bulb to wire in as your "high beam" function. The bulb isn't apparently rated for that voltage and will melt the plastic making it impossible to remove. This was not the reason why I sold them, for some reason I just liked the look of the halogen since it seems more old school. Maybe next year I can go back to the HID setup since I know how to do this!

Feel free to pm me with questions or more information. I hope this guide helps others in their quest to convert to 135i headlights.

Last edited by Gray_Panther; 07-06-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0