03-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #37
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm49 View Post
I updated my car's oil cooling capability soon after having my first track day (unmodded engine) ruined by constant power cuts and now it can do long races without the limp mode problem. My comment was more intended as a gripe that previous performance and other BMW's had the capability of coping with track days or race conditions with minimal mods such as brake fluid and pads.
The inadequacy of the 135i's 6-piston front brake system is well documented and I have seen both crumbling pistons/melted dust seals and was shocked at the extent of the deterioration. The damage only seems to occur when competition-type pads are fitted and the brakes are used hard, generating excessive heat that the factory parts cannot cope with. The standard brakes are fine for road use and probably OK for light track use.
I believe the cooling/heat management of the brakes is the real cause behind those melted piston seals. There are several threads about using the F series brake dust shield that come with a more aggressive bend to allow some air to be blown over the disc, caliper and bearing housing. A user even reported less brake temperatures with this cheap OEM mod, while not a proper brake cooling system, it is better than nothing/factory.
Appreciate 0