10-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #53
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
Even the Procede V2 pushes less than 20lbs of boost on a very robust block.
The potential problems with high levels of power on the N54 engine may stem not necessarily from the tuning itself - which can be safe, reliable, predictable and all that. It may stem from what seems to me the engine's built-in Achilles' heel - high temps.

A stock N54 runs 250 oil temperatures when driving around town, and on road courses it can easily see 280, or even 300 when the engine goes into limp-home mode. There are also rumours coming out of BMW about cylinders #5 and #6 running significantly hotter than the rest, especially at sustained high speed highway driving - which may not be a concern to US drivers, but something to think about nevertheless.

I know that the vast majority of people buying these products will never go to a driving school (which is really a shame, but not the topic here) - so they will most likely be ok. But if I were buying the V2 Procede, I would actually decrease the default power and attempt to reshape the torque curve for a flatter and more predictable output.

Just as with most things in life, I think a little caution and common sense is of essence when tuning your car. There are many people running engine modifications (including me) that right now swear what they have is safe - but if something were to happen to an engine, we'd all be running like chicken.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0