12-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #119
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Right, whatever...I'm with oldschool.

When BMW decides to run a serious marketing campaign targeted at adults again (rather than teenagers), I will tune in for real. So much hype generated by marketers these days. I guess it sells.
Lucid,

Good to see you wandering here a bit.

The M division earned it's vaunted status through merit not marketing. It built its reputation with cars that were light, well balanced, and had high revving, specific NA power plants. The S65 in the M3 is an absolute gem as well as the preceding powerplants in M cars.

"Times they are a changing." BMW owns the M brand and is moving in the direction they believe is most beneficial for the company. BMW enthusiasts are asking whether BMW expanded the M brand for short term profits at the expense of reputation and tradition? Do the short term gains outweigh the long term consequences? How much does a watered down M diminish the brand, tarnish its mystique, and reduce the long term viability of the M brand?

The 1M is a really well put together 135is because of its "is" motor. The motor is the heart of any performance car. The chassis, transmission, and steering are its soul.

Porsche, a master of marketing and building brand cachet, just introduced the Porsche Cayman R. Given its specs, it is a slight to the R moniker and Porsche motorsport tradition.

Stephen King could could release just about anything and it would be a best seller. Most esteemed esteemed brands can, at least in the short term. Long term, its a wrong turn.