09-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #94
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoCoupe View Post
Minimal drain back? If the oil under pressure moves from the center of the filter to the outside of the filter, isn't this minimal drain back going directly into the passage feeding the bearings, etc. essentually allowing crap to go to the bearings? I read in one of the oil change posts that they cleaned the internal housing with brake-clean "since it just goes through the motor". Unless I completely misunderstand the configuration of this housing and passages, this can't be correct. Brake-clean at a bearing surface is a really bad thing! I could see the foggy logic if the housing drained to the pan, but I don't see how it could.

Maybe I'm wrong,

MontegoCoupe
From what I've conceived, different oil filter manufacturers have different internal component ordering. This is what I would believe, is why most people suggest an OEM filter, because internal component composition is somewhat higher quality, but it's manufacturer branded, including warranties. You figure, a store brand filer doesn't carry as adequate centrifugal force as a brand model, because brand models have engineering behind them. If they didn't they would be less expensive.

Brake clean is completely out of line. I would never suggest that, and I don't think any of my posts included that under normal operating conditions. However, if you have the components separated and you clean the parts individually, then lube like it would at the assembly line, than the precautions have been taken to ensure performance.

The concept itself is simple, but the engineering behind it is far beyond what people even fathom.
Appreciate 0