Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
      03-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

etr, I currently use Wawanesa but I am in the market. I have been getting 20% increases every 6 months for the last 4 or so years. This despite 20 years and perfect record. With the 1M you are in good shape because bluebook values high but last year I was rear ended in my excellent condition, all original paint, clean title and mechanically perfect 2003 330i ZHP 6MT with Alcantara Interior and 120K miles. I was restoring the car piece by piece and was considering a repaint. I bought the car in Rhode Island and drove to San Diego because it was Mystic Blue with the Alacantara interior which is not just rare, but a great combination unlike the guys with "rare" color combinations that no one would want. : )

Anyway, I was rear ended by a kid and the appraisal came in according to the other guys insurance company at $5500K. Because of this and the estimate being $5000 to repair, they immediately sent me to their totalled division. They said now that my car was totalled I had to return the rental car whether or not I came to an agreemeent on price and take it out of the body shop as they won't pay storage because they deemed it was totalled based on their stupid appraisal. I was shocked by the arrogance and close mindedness of Mercury so I told them I would just go with my Insurance, Wawanesa and they would take better care of me. Nope. Worse. The lady that was my adjuster was the most ignorant close minded, ignorant, stupid, worthless, no business dealing with cars, did I say stupid already? Person I have ever dealt with.

They gave me a $5000 value on my ZHP and to add insult, they deducted $300 because I didn't have leather and better yet, they deducted another $500 because my ZHP was not automatic! Needless to say, the ZHP was the first non-M car to get a 6 speed and when it came out it was not even offered in automatic. The ZHP was MANual only when it came out. I tried talking to the lady and she just get talking over me with stupid things like you don't even have leather and manual is a bad thing. Everyone wants automatics. I tried explaining over and over again...yes but not in ZHPs. The opposite is true. Manuals are worth more!

So I tried showing her that people were asking $5K for salvage title ZHPs like mine that that were not even as nice. I sent her countless postings for ZHPs not as nice as mine for 10-15K. I sent her bringatrailer auctions, EAG posting. I sent her articles about ZHP and all my receipts for 5 years totaling $15K because I was basically restoring the car. The new headlights alone and full OE BMW suspension refresh where a big chunk.

She just tossed it all away without a thought and said, I have to give her someting within 100 miles of my zip code. I tried telling her, THERE ARE NO GODDAMNED ZHPS like mine listed within 100,200 (don't recall now) miles. She can't use any of the ones I sent her. So I request an independent appraisal. They hire a guy who comes out and looks at my car. Takes a bunch of pictures and goes away. I had a friend that used to work for them and I found out that he appraised my car at a low, but at least respectable $9500. So I was still upset but I was so fed up that I was just going to take it and move on.

Then I call because I haven't heard anything. the stupid should-have-no-business-working-with-cars woman tells me that the appraisal is wrong and they are still going to give me $5000. I asked her for a copy. She won't give it to me because it's wrong. I said I want to see it. She says no. It's wrong so it won't matter. I asked her how much and she wouldn't tell me but I already knew. It was freaking insane. I was so upset by her dishonesty at hiding the independent appraisal and ignorance that I just didn't want to talk to her. I told her I would go back and deal with the other people at Mercury because Wawanesa has my cars and my house and this was going nowhere. I was going to lose it.

mercury also had a woman that knew nothing about cars and she told me the same thing. My comps had to be 200 miles etc and wouldn't look at anything I submitted. finally, I filed a complaint with the California Insurance Commission and the next day a manager, who I had asked to speak with many times, called me. She said that if there are no cars within 200 miles, they can look at the national ones I submitted. I have been saying that for weeks!!!!!! She got on autotrader and cars like mine were being listed between 11-15K So finally, she offered me the reasonable price and I settled out of exhaustion.

So if you drive a Camry, you are fine with Wawanesa. But if you drive anything like a 1M BEWARE! Danger. I guarantee you they will tell that your 1M is worth less because it doesn't have a sunroof and automatic transmission. The level of ignorance is astounding.

The one positive with Wawanesa is that they use mileage driven so insuring the 1M is inexpensive with them but I worry that if something happens, I will get the same morons again. So I am shopping.

Here is picture 1 week before i got rear-ended.

Man, If I could've gotten this car like this for $5K I would have gotten two!

So be careful. If the bluebook values drop, you will be dealing with morons for sure at Wawanesa and except for the manager lady, Mercury too. I think guaranteed value is the way to go but if you want the lowest price and drive few miles Wawanesa can be inexpensive...for now. They have quadrupled my insurance in about 4 years with nothing changing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///BYU268.50
ayao641.50