11-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #97
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
There were more differences and cost cutting measures taken than just the motor. Yet everyone just focuses on that. It's kind of like the uninformed saying the 1M is just a widebody 135i with PPK or something. You guys only focus on motors and straight line things which continually perplexes me as to why you buy a BMW in the first place

As for the M2C, the only thing it technically has going for it is the wheelbase. An updated F80 is not much heavier at all and a better buy imo. The M2C got fat, and does not get CF/weight drop options the other F8x got unless you pay out of your arse for a non-factory fitted option.
I'm not really an "M-guy," and my 2000 Z3M coupe, purchased used about 4 years ago, was my first "M"-car. HP is one thing (and we all like to have it) but a decade or two ago, every single vehicle that BMW produced was a fun-to-drive, drivers car. My first BMW, and my first car, was a 1973 2002 (not Tii), 4-speed manual, which maybe had 100 hp, and cost $3700 new. It was way more fun to drive than almost everything that BMW now produces, although certainly very spartan and (now) extremely dated. I went for a few years with other makes because I couldn't afford a BMW.

My 1993 325i 5M was similarly a great, drivers car, but which didn't have much more power than a current day Prius, if that means anything, with a 0-60 time that would embarrass a current Toyota owner.

It's a shame that now, in our era, the only glimpse of a drivers car that this manufacturer now offers, has an "M" attached to the designation. Pretty soon, even that will disappear. Time to look at a Miata.