Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Obviously not OEM.
ALL us-spec 135i's have AHL xenons as standard equipment.

On US spec 128i's xenons were optional. In the rest of the world... they had three headlight options for all 1er's... Halogens, Xenons(inner lens are clear) and AHL Xenons(inner lens is opaque).

What's not OE are those purple(?) finned alu ballasts wired into the back of your headlights. Looks like whoever did the wiring job, never bothered to put back the headlight covers(behind the headlights) and that allowed moister into the headlights. When that happens it can blow out(up) the footwell module AND/or the internal wiring inside the headlight. New headlights are about $700 per side. A footwell module is a few hundred - plus it will need to be coded to your car.

Some people have success in removing the headlight and using a hairdryer to blow out the water. Or leave them sitting in the sun. The damage is probably done already - you will probably need a new headlight and/or footwell module/bulb.

The AHL function will ONLY WORK when the headlight switch is in the AUTO position! (turned to the full LEFT counter clockwise). IF you turn the headlights manually on... the heads stay locked in the straight ahead position. They will not turn when you turn the steering wheel.

Dackel

headlight switch in the OFF position. Auto is to the LEFT counter clockwise.
Note: this is also the euro switch with rear brake fog light switch on the lower righthand side.
Name:  euro AHL xenon 135i  headlight switch eu  IMG_3970.jpg
Views: 97011
Size:  65.8 KB

non-AHL xenons
Name:  headlights non AHL.jpg
Views: 95668
Size:  97.2 KB

AHL xenons (these are also LCI lights, ie: the brows)
Name:  headlights AHL lci.jpg
Views: 107898
Size:  84.0 KB
Appreciate 2