View Single Post
      09-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Service Interval for front brake pads drops insane amount, resetting a problem

I have been tracking my 135i for 6 years and the last two years I see my service interval drop about 2,000 miles every 30 minute session on the track, regardless if it is Road America (heavy braking zones) or Putnam (1 or 2 heavy braking zones). Once it hits zero, I get the dreaded car on a lift symbol and brake light on the dashboard (happened only once three years ago and got it reset under warranty). When I reset on the dashboard when it reads around 2,000 miles, it only goes up about 6,000 or so miles (good for one more track day) and after two or three times it won't reset at all. Went to a dealer 4 months ago, paid a ridiculous amount for them to "fix" this, went to the track and had to come back when it wasn't, and now, 2 months later (did not track the car in July and August), my brakes went down 14,000 miles at my last event this weekend! (Left the dealer with 14,000 mile service interval which actually grew to 20,000 over the two months of no track driving). I am currently sitting at 6,000 mile front brake interval (my rears only went down 2,000 miles over a three day track period). Please note that I have both brake sensors tied off permanently. I DIY my brakes between track, auto-x and daily driving.

Has anyone experienced this?

If yes, what do you do to reset the service interval to a high enough amount (20,000+ miles) so you can track the car again?

I love tracking my car but this experience is making me seriously consider buying an older dedicated track car that I have no where to store nor can I tow to the track (city living, first world problems).

I have seen many posts for resetting the light, but no where can I find setting the distance (miles) to get a higher amount. The community's assistance is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0