View Single Post
      04-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman1977 View Post
Hello Artemis
I just put on my gunmetal BBS CH-R with Michelin Super Sports and there seems to be a very slight rubbing noise coming from the front axle...have you experienced the same?
Best Regards
Hi Chapman1977.

First of all, do know that, also with the stock rims and tires, clearance between tires and fender liner is a close call. See for example the pictures taken by OAM (too close for comfort, actually):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=1 (front left)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=6 (front right)

As indicated above, 19" BBS CH-R is my winter set-up (Pirelli Winter 270 Sottozero Serie II), so no experience with PS2 or PSS on those rims.

My experiences:
- rear: all fine right from the start.
- front left: initially very slight rubbing when full lock to right;
- front right: initially slight rubbing when 90% of full lock to left.

So only during a parking manouver or a full lock turn at walking pace, I initially experienced the rubbing (it's the very middle part of the fender liner, which has a slightly different position than the other vertical parts, which is the culprit).

On my winter set-up the rubbing was instantly resolved by creating a bit more clearance: marginally push the middle part of the fender liner a bit inwards (towards the cooler, i.e. towards the front of the car) with the head of a hammer, after having slightly 'weakened' the rubbing spot with a heat gun (beware: only use the heat gun for a very short period of time, otherwise it could melt the fender liner and/or damage the cooler behind it). I also put 2.4 bar on all four winter tires (although I doubt that's of any relevance for the initial rubbing issue). No issues ever since (even on bumpy roads, speed bumps, etc.).

The weird thing is that another stock 1M owner who has exactly the same winter set-up as mine and got them installed by the same tire/rims dealer, never had any rubbing issue (only difference between our respective set-ups is the rims color: he opted for black on his AW 1M - I opted for gun metal on my VO 1M). No clue re the difference.

As a matter of fact, when you touch/push the fender liner, you'll notice that it's not really a tight fit - the fender liner can be moved a bit forward/backwards. Fitting a screw could keep it tight, but is too dangerous, especially if tires hit the hypothetical screw during a hard impact on, for example, a speed bump. I guess BMW prefers no 100% tight fit over the risk of a punctured tire.

On a final note: most rubbing issues reported on this forum with all sorts of set-ups virtually always relates to the right front side.

Conclusion: initially a slight rubbing issue, but that was sorted out by creating some clearance.

Hope this helps.