Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It seems like you know how to drive with a clutch and BMW clutches are not unusual in their life, at least under normal circumstances. That leads to questions like:

Is there a leak from the engine through the rear main seal? Were you adding oil?

Did pieces of the old clutch come off or did it just wear down (i.e. ask them to show you the old clutch)

Is the pressure plate good - and broken springs? Other signs of something unusual?

Jim
I have barely had my car since its been in the shop so much but I have had quite a bit of chattering. I have not added oil but I have had coolant leak a rather large pool in my garage. I have noticed that quite a few times the car wouldn't grab 3rd from an upshift in 2nd. (That was the first noticeable sign.) Then I had weeks of clutch slippage, but the dealership couldn't replicate it "through normal driving conditions". And then today it burned out completely and my whole street now reeks of burnt clutch. (I was testing it before work, so I wouldn't end up stranded.)

Now I am debating extending the warranty because this is my another major repair in a month. 2 new turbos, 1 new Headlight + assembly + control module, DSC control module, coolant leak and container replacement, break fade/ resurfaced, etc...
Appreciate 0