01-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Do you have any supporting documentation for all of that?

I’ve never heard any of that before, legitimately curios.

The ad08 is a very aggressive tire with a much firmer sidewall and more grip than any Bmw oem tire.

Also, the diameter of any 245/35/19 is the same, no matter who makes the tire.
Stiffer sidewall, not necessarily a better tire make young skywalker. Suspensions are tuned for certain sidewall range. For example runflats have stiffer sidewalls than your Yokohama's but have worse performance and bmw softens the suspension to reduce harshness. A stiff sidewall on a very stiff car like the 1M can make the car handle worse on a bumpy road. So drastic tire changes CAN affect handling.

Now with that said, I don't think the the star rating will make that big a difference if you use the same tire. My 1M came with star rated tires. The tire shop had the same size Michelin supersports with porsche rating and they are identical. I read about the ratings and they are minuscule changes. For example the Porsche version has to stop a Cayman in the rain in x distance. So they tweak the compound slightly for that. Then bmw says it has to do this. And they do a slight tweak to get the contract. But it is very minute. If you use the same model tire whether star, Mercedes or Porsche they are all close enough.

Finally your 1M was tuned with PS2s which had quick turn in but are hard to even find nowadays so you will most likely have to go to other model. In turn in I think the AD08 is closer to PS2 than super sports that have more grip than PS2s but softer turn in. ADO8 is sticker in dry than al of them.

Also the 1M corners very flat already and changing from bar to stiffer makes no sense to me. If anything I would soften rear end slightly as it wants to step out.
Appreciate 0