View Single Post
      07-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #21
FITZS
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
This is amazing! Once your car hits the track your insurance company will not cover you if you have an accident/problem. I find it extremely hard that BMW will say "no worries."

I'm not doubting your word but if the salesman said that he should have his nurries chopped off - it sounds like a blatant attempt to get you to sign on the dotted line no matter what.

Of course I stand to be corrected. If indeed BMW have no problems with us tracking cars, I'll see you at the track where I will thrash my M3 to within an inch of its life.... because BMW will cover it!
I'm not talking about insurance but warranty for warrantable items i.e. manufacturing defects. I know of people who have discovered genuine warrantable faults after taking their cars to the track and "stressing" them beyond what would be considered "normal operating conditions" only to have the claim denied by the manufacturer. I also know people in the same position of discovering warrantable items after a session at the track but whose manufacturers have stepped up and replaced the faulty part. I asked for an assurance that using my car at the track wouldn't void the warranty - and I received one. This seems reasonable to me for a car touted as a performance car. I can, however, understand the warranty being knocked back on the Getz after a hard day at the track.

Having tracked motorcycles on and off for the last 15 years I'm well aware of the lack-of-insurance situation and I'm fine with that but I don't want a driveshaft, for instance, to break and then have BMW say "Well you shouldn't have been driving it that hard..."

On another note - would love to see you at the track as then you could show me around as I've never driven a car on a track before (one of the reasons for buying this one) and I'm sure you'd love to open up that M3's glorious V8...
Appreciate 0