View Single Post
      12-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I love them! The ST's aren't "race spec" in the sense that they are ridiculously aggressive, but that doesn't mean they're awesome. They ride surprisingly close to stock. Over larger bumps the suspension doesn't travel as much and it's more comfortable, but you hear a louder "thump". Over small repeating bumps it gets a little shakey, but nothing too bad. Overall, though, the car feels much stiffer than before. The difference wasn't immediately noticeable, though I think part of that was that they were "breaking-in" and the other part was in my head because the ride choppiness wasn't bad at all so part of me was thinking did I get swindled for coilovers with stock specs? Then I started taking some corners faster and I was pleasantly surprised. 90-95% of the body roll is gone, even on comparatively "soft" coilovers, and even though my car was only moderately lowered (noticeable lowering but not slammed), the car just kind of felt like the center of gravity was lower and it "wanted" to stay more planted. I'm sure more aggressive coilovers would feel even better, but for a greater sacrifice of comfort. I then added an M3 front sway bar and that took care of that last 5-10% of body roll. It feels perfect! I feel like I could be competent at a track or autocross with the car, unlike with the stock suspension, but I can also enjoy the ride around town even on pothole-ridden NJ streets. One thing to note.. with square winter tires, these coils, and the M3 sway the understeer is almost completely gone. Sweet

Next I am adding M3 front control arms (tension rods, wishbones, headlight links). Should stiffen things further up front, add a bit of negative camber, and some good steering feel. Then.. the rear suspension work starts and my wallet gets emptier.
should i sell you my new m3 front control arm kits and rear bushings?
Appreciate 0