08-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
Just so I'm clear mlhj83 you don't believe that the rotors on the 1M will warp and think everyone is wrong including BMW mechanics?

Just to be clear with my situation, the dealer was very aware of brake deposit issue and first checked the rotors for this, it wasn't the issue, they where warped, no question about that.
The reason I think M3's are seeing it as much is due to the cooling they have and I think the 1M design lacks any consideration for cooling of the brakes.
I did not say BMW mechanics are wrong, I said a lot of mechanics use the term incorrectly despite having an understanding of the actual problem. It's far easier to use the term warp than to explain it any other way.

It is difficult/impossible to determine whether a brake disc has truly gone out of shape (i.e. warped) when there are spots and layers of uneven brake deposits on the surface of the disc. The brake disc surface has to be free of these deposits or have an even layer of pad material all across the disc, to be able measure runout to determine whether the brake disc is truly warped. Because of this, all the dealership can do is measure runout with a gauge which will invariably show runout on your discs, BUT, whether the runout is caused by a warped disc or the uneven pad deposits cannot be clearly distinguished until the discs are clean. All the dealership can say with certainty is that the disc surface is uneven.

Most - not all - of the time, a warped brake disc isn't truly warped. It is, however, possible for a brake disc, that isn't warped but has uneven pad deposits, to become truly warped if the discs are not cleaned of its uneven deposits in good time. This is because the deposits will cause the underlying metal to heat up more than the surrounding deposit-free metal, this will eventually cause true warping. If you speak to friction engineers from any of the reputable Formula racing brake manufactures, like AP Racing, Performance Friction, Alcon, this is what they will tell you.
Appreciate 0